Gas And Electrical Safety In Your Student Accommodation

Your student property will be fitted with gas-powered and/or electrical appliances. Safety, when it comes to these appliances, is of the highest significance and it must be ensured. Upholding this is the landlord, so there a few things to keep in mind and to look out for should you ever be in doubt.

Gas Safety

It is completely your landlords’ responsibility to ensure that such appliances are safe to use, and they should provide you with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate following a check by a Gas Safe Engineer. It is important to remember that the appliances must be checked every 12 months. Double check on the certificate when the last check was carried out to make sure this is correct.

A Gas Safe Engineer will be the individual that confirms whether the appliances are safe for use, but always remember to ascertain the validity of the person. Check if the engineer has a Gas Safe ID card. If you are still unsure, visit to confirm whether the ID of the individual or business carrying out the check is valid

If you have not been provided with a Gas Safety Certificate, remember to always ask for a copy. It is a criminal offence to not get gas appliances checked for safety, so the landlord should provide it upon request (if you haven’t already received it).

Electrical Safety

Similarly, landlords are required by law to ensure that the electrical installations within the property are safe. It is their responsibility to ensure that they are safe upon moving in and throughout the course of the tenancy. Through regular checks, the landlord must confirm the safety of electrical appliances to the tenants.

Any electrical appliances provided should have the CE marking, a statement of safety from the manufacturer in alignment with European law. If there is no marking, point this out to your landlord in writing. Additionally, periodic inspections should take place every 5 years for any House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). Similarly, ask your landlord for an electrical safety certificate if you are concerned, so that the safety of the appliances can be confirmed.

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

One of the most important safety features of your student home will be the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. A smoke alarm should be fitted on EVERY floor of the property classified as ‘living accommodation’ and a carbon monoxide detector for every room used as ‘living accommodation’ where solid fuel is present.

Always consult your landlord should you have any concerns regarding fire safety. If you have further concerns, you can schedule a Home Fire Risk Assessment with the Fire and Rescue Service. More details can be found at

Are you looking for university accommodation? Campusboard is a free platform that allows you to compare all student halls in a single place and book them safely. Browse student halls near your university today.

8 Hottest 2017 European Summer Music Festivals to Attend as a Student

Hot summer, loud music, never-ending parties, great fun and new friends.

Summer Festival Essentials: 20 Festival Must-Haves to Pack

Festivals are probably at the top of everyone’s summer to-do list.

Are You Allowed Pets at University?

Whether it is a pet from home, or one that you would like to get, having a pet at university seems like a great idea.